The place where you can discuss issues relating to travel,
hotel reservations, apartments for rent etc.

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:11 pm

Post subject: How to get to the North Pole from Anchorage?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:46 am 

Hi,

I'm trying to plan a trip to Alaska from AZ, on a shoestring budget.

I'm thinking of a 3-day trip in May, starting at Anchorage, then driving down to Denali and Fairbanks. I would also like to visit the North Pole.

I did a bit of browsing, but nowhere found the way to get to NP from Anchorage/Fairbanks.Is it a drive-able route? Or is there any other transportation to be arranged?

Any ideas you could give me on budget travel/alternate trip routes or itineraries is much appreciated.:)

Thanks,

MM.

Post subject: Re: How to get to the North Pole from Anchorage?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:16 pm 

Are you talking about the town or the "real" North Pole? The town is a suburb of Fairbanks. The other North Pole is a 1000 miles away in the middle of the Arctic Ocean under the polar ice pack and it is in Canada!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:11 pm 

Alaskaman sums it up, but I believe the North Pole is much more than 1,000 miles away (I believe it's not even in Canada, but in international waters - or ice). To complicate matters further, there's a geographic North Pole and a magnetic North Pole. Having said that, perhaps some humor is in order: Frigid Air flies there, as does LOT, the national airline of Pole-land.

A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:24 pm 

First of all, I'd recommend a map. You need to drive north to Denali and Fairbanks from Anchorage and the drive is long. North Pole is just south of Fairbanks and the ride between North Pole and Valdez is gorgeous., but again is very long. Denali is an 8 hour bus ride and Mt. McKinley is rarely visible.

You may appreciate the state of Alaska more from the water. You see a lot more of it's beauty. If you are on a shoestring budget, you might consider a trip on the Alaska Marine Highway system. You can sleep on the deck in your own tent and bring your own food (oatmeal, cup of soup). The Inside Passage is a nice route. Valdez to Whittier is also beautiful and the captain will stop for observing whales if they are present.

The Alaska Railroad is also a nice way to travel. Whatever you do, I'd think about more time. 3 days is too short. It takes at least 1 day of travel each direction and the state is very large.

You also may want to consider 1 destination during a good Festival time. February offers Fur Rendezvous. March is the Iditarod. There are fishing derbies and the State Fair in the summer. Lots of other fun festivals, etc.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:06 pm 

You do realize that it is about a 5 hour drive from Anchorage up to Denali and another 3 hours to Fairbanks? You will basically be doing a lot of driving in your three days. If you are limited to only three days (three nights?) I would recommend heading South to Seward along a national scenic byway instead. Its only a 3 hour drive, but you can make a long day of it with all the sight-seeing on the way. Seward is a coastal city with lots of Marine life.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:17 am 

That is going to be a VERY EXPENSIVE trip. You might do some checking on the web about the price? Why do you think the Antarctica and Artic trips are so expensive??? Due to logistics so it is not going to be so easy to just hope in a car and drive to the North Pole. Do more research on the web and find out.